Paradise in Cambodia?
Do you want do something different in Cambodia rather than spending days visiting temples? I mean the temples are incredible but for us, we were able to find paradise. Here’s a guide to finding the best place to visit in Cambodia.
We had only heard little snippets of this place. We didn’t really know where it was or what it was like. We just kept getting told that we had to go and that we would never want to leave. Man, they couldn’t be more right! It’s a dreamy escape for backpackers.
This incredible place is a little island just off Cambodia and is situated near Sihanoukville. The island is becoming more and more known for it’s insane scenery and beautiful beaches.
It is very up and coming so its only really started to become more developed. We loved that as it gave it more of a remote feeling rather than a built up touristy area that we hate. I think in later years, it will be more of a developed island and more touristy. So I would definitely recommend going as soon as you can and find the best place to visit in Cambodia.
Getting to Koh Rong
Getting to the island is really easy and just a short boat trip away from Sihanoukville. It is a bit pricey but I promise you it is worth it.
- The boat costs $22 and takes about 45 mins to get to the island.
There are different companies that provide the service, so it just depends on the area your in and what company suits you. Each one will most likely pick you up from your hotel early morning and you will set off from Sihanoukville pier. The journey can get quite bumpy with the waves but the time flies by and you’ll be there before you know it. Depending on where your staying, the boat will drop people off at different areas on the islands, but just let the staff know where your going and they will help you accordingly.
Where to stay on Koh Rong
We stayed at Reef on the beach and we couldn’t recommend it enough! The staff were so friendly, the food was incredible and the atmosphere was just perfect.
For just $12 a night, we stayed in a beautiful bungalow on the beach. The prices do change depending on the time of the year but they have a variety of accommodation options which vary in price. They offer dormitories, tents or bungalows overlooking the garden or beach. It was so chilled having drinks on the beach especially on the hammocks.
What can you do on Koh Rong?
To be honest, Koh Rong for us was just a few days of relaxing on the beach. It was a little slice of paradise and a break from all the rain and potholes we experienced in the city. We didn’t plan on doing much but thats what we wanted. The beach is right on your doorstep so its perfect for snorkelling, swimming and catching up your tan.
However, if you get a bit fed up of chilling, there are tons of activities you can do.
- Kayak to a smaller island. You can rent a kayak for just $5 for 2 hours and paddle yourself over to the neighbouring island. It’s really small but perfect for snorkelling & fishing.
- Wait until nighttime and find somewhere that is pitch black with darkness, nor brightened by the moon. Wander into the sea and you’ll soon experience the most incredible thing with the plankton. They glow! Definitely a once in a life time opportunity.
- Zip line through the jungle! This is definitely a adrenaline junky experience. Full of height-related obstacles. Although, you get the most incredible views! This will cost you around $20-$30 depending on the time of year.
- Walk through the jungle to neighbouring beaches and go grab some tasty food.
- If diving is something your interested in. Koh Rong dive centre offers PADI training courses around the island. Although Koh Rong isn’t the best place to become a certified diver due to the clarity of the water but the service is there if your interested for about $400 for a 3- day course.
Is it worth it?
Cambodia is beautiful cultured place but I think it is over shadowed by temples and especially Angkor Wat. I mean the temples are incredible, but its even better fo find somewhere like Koh Rong in the most unlikely place as Cambodia. We loved the island and stayed a couple of extra nights because we didn’t want to leave. Some might think it is expensive, but we didn’t find that at all. All your paying for it the boat over and then food & drink. You can make it as cheap or as expensive as you want. We would definitely recommend everyone to visit Koh Rong and experience this island life before it becomes more known & touristy. It really was our favourite and the best place to visit in Cambodia.